Any and every birthday around here is a much anticipated celebration, mainly because of the candles and CAKE! This year I found out a week prior to Jay's birthday that Stone had an egg and peanut allergy, so I thought that I would use Jay's birthday cake as the 'guinea pig' to practice baking an eggless cake. Cake baking counts as a 'craft of the day' so Sophie was helping me. Stone couldn't stand not contributing so I dumped some flour on the floor and let him do his own crafting:)


Clearly, Stone had a ball. Meanwhile, Sophie and I finished mixing, pouring and licking the bowl and beaters, put the cake into the oven and began cleaning. Within 10 minutes, my oven came alive, smoke started coming out of his ears and shaking, and my kitchen filled up with smoke and a stinky burning smell. I pulled out the cupcake pans which now looked like someone threw up on them...and in my oven!!! my new(ish) oven! So, back to the store to pickup an ICE CREAM CAKE, full of eggs - sorry Stone:( !!! Jay, however, was glowing, and I found out after 6.5 years of marriage that an ice cream cake was his favorite!!! loser wife I know;)
This was one of the more expensive cakes on record...besides our wedding cake.
$15 - initial supplies
$10 - supplies I already had
$40 - two cupcakes pans now in a landfill in Charlotte somewhere
$20 - new cupcake pan to replace the old ones
$30 - ice cream cake
YEP, that was a BIG dammit:)


Jay is STILL eating on this cake by the way. So I tend to think of it as an investment.
1 comment:
Oh my goodness!! I can't believe the allergies (poor guy! what are the chances he'll outgrow them?) and the bust of your "art" project! :) Total props to you though for the flour playtime on the floor! Great idea! And, I must admit, ice cream cake is my fav, too! Happy bday to Jay!
Post a Comment